Sunday, April 25, 2010

Thoughts

Schedules and Deadlines

Summer is a ten week session and while we think of those lazy days hanging out at the beach or in the backyard hammock sipping cold ones, the time disappears a lot faster than we tend to think. Students also are under the misconception that ten week sessions are “easier” and less work. I remind my students that ten weeks means five weeks less calendar time not work and some are surprised at this revelation.


To be a little more flexible, I change up my summer schedule so that my “due dates” are based on months rather than weeks. For example, Units 1 and 2 are due by the end of June. Students can submit work anytime during the month of June but the deadline is June 30. No late work and the benefit for getting things in early is that students can revise and resubmit assignments for a better grade. Units 3, 4, 5 are due the end of July and Unit 6 is due the last day of the semester in Aug. This lets students work ahead, take a long weekend without worrying about deadlines or even take a weeklong family vacation. My class discussions are on a bi-weekly deadline rather than monthly.

Trying

In my program area, Education and especially Early Childhood Education, we’ve had discussions about giving points to students for “trying”. If a student submits an assignment that is poorly written, clearly not on topic or demonstrates lack of knowledge, should faculty give points for “trying”?



One of my instructors made a comment that has turned into my light bulb moment…would you want to have a surgeon operate on you who got through school by “trying” or would you expect that professional to have mastered and understood the content and practice? I’ve had a couple of students complaining that they are receiving zeros for assignments and that they “tried really hard” but the instructor “doesn’t like me”. After reviewing the files submitted, I can see why the grade was zero but the students seemed to expect credit for trying. I know this is something that is perpetuated throughout K-12, but when is it time to take responsibility for your own learning? Are we doing students any favors by giving points just for attempting the work?

1 comment:

  1. Great question, Phyllis. Something that I try to remind my students, the faculty who teach for me, and sometimes myself, is that I don't "give" grades; students earn the grades they receive by demonstrating the competencies required in the course.

    ReplyDelete