Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Reflecting

Well, we made it through our first semester with thousands of students, several new instructors, chairs and staff and a new learning management system. While there were a few bumps, I think our semester went smoothly, especially the technical aspects of things. Thanks to all who made it so.

Blogging has been an interesting experience for me. I like to write but have not done so for an online audience. I have felt much like Julie in the movie Julie and Julia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_&_Julia. Julie Powell, an unpublished writer and cook, starts a blog about her attempt to recreate every recipe in Julia Child's cookbook masterpiece Mastering the Art of French Cooking. At first, the only people who read her blog are her mother and husband. But you never know who will catch a glimpse of your blog. In the movie, it all turns out happily ever after, with a book deal.

I'm not looking for another book deal, but I hope I've given someone out there a few things to think about over these weeks. We are in an exciting field which is rapidly changing with new tech, a mix of unprepared and overly-prepared students, institutional and budget limitations. One the basic premises of Adult Learning is that it is a continuing process. As instructors of adults, we should be living this by taking opportunities to learn new technologies and techniques and use them in our teaching. I hope I inspired you to be all you can be as an online instructor and, in turn, inspire your students to do the same.

Several decades ago when I was a student on campus at Michigan State University, my roommates and I ended finals by blasting some favorite songs out through our dorm windows. One of my blasting favorites was from Three Dog Night Celebrate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXI6CdTVJ-0. Virtually blasting it out my windows this week!

Celebrate, celebrate, dance to the music!

Signing off for this semester and heading to the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment